NSUFC NFFC captain passing

Saturday Senior Cup Final Update


Newark & Sherwood United FC v Carlton Town FC (Fixture details TBC)

The finalists of The Saturday Senior Cup have now been confirmed following last nights game as Newark & Sherwood United beat Nottingham Forest U21s 2-0.

It was a great performance from Newark & Sherwood, in front of a record-breaking County Cup crowd of 1,002 at Station Road.

With 700 tickets sold prior to the game, Newark & Sherwood were anticipating a crowd close to capacity and really made an event of the game, with a big screen brought in, the game live streamed on YouTube and additional catering facilities at the ground. 

The atmosphere was building in the run up to kick off as the crowd watched the teams warm up. As the team news was announced it was clear that Forest were taking the game very seriously as they have done throughout the competition with a strong academy line-up. Club legend, John McGovern was in attendance as was Director of Professional Development, Gary Brazil.

Newark & Sherwood came out the blocks quickly and put Forest under pressure straightway. This led to a goal in just the third minute as Nyle Blake’s strike bounced over the diving Forest goalkeeper. Both teams had a couple of chances each before half time with Forest having the clearer chances but unable to convert. The teams went into the break at 1-0 with the early strike the difference.

At half-time, the attendance was confirmed as 1,002 which is a record for the County Cup.

As the second half got underway, Forest began to see more of the ball and created chances but some excellent blocks from Newark & Sherwood kept the score at 1-0. A couple of yellow cards followed for Forest as their frustrations built as they could not break down the stern defence.

These fouls were leading to problems for Forest as the free kicks from Newark & Sherwood were effective all night. On 82 minutes, another free kick for the hosts saw a great delivery into the box as Newark & Sherwood took a 2-0 lead. The first header was won by Roman Banks as it was sent towards Luke White at the back post. Luke saw his shot saved but James Gardner was there to follow in and give the hosts a 2-0 lead with less than 10 minutes to go.

Forest pushed to find a way back into the game in the final minutes but could not convert and the final whistle went with the game finishing 2-0 and Newark & Sherwood United advancing to The Saturday Senior County Cup Final. A fantastic victory and a great occasion with jubilant scenes at Station Road.

Newark & Sherwood United will take on Carlton Town in the final with fixture details to be confirmed in due course. 



Newark & Sherwood United FC 2-0 Nottingham Forest U21

Mansfield Town FC 1-1 Carlton Town FC (Carlton Town won 4-2 on penalties)


Photo credit: Steve W Davies Photography